Friday 13 December 2013

Odlums Quick Wheat Free Multi Grain Bread


Yesterday I decided to try to make Odlums Quick Wheat Free Multi Grain Bread!





The instructions look quite simple. Add 375ml of water and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Mix them together and bake for 35-40 minutes at 200 degrees centigrade. 


Obligatory ingredients list and nutritional list photos. Wheat and gluten free. :)



First job: mix the water, oil, and mix. Mix until smooth. I found this a bit tough. I'm not the strongest mixer in the world. It says on the packet you can have this ready in two minutes. In order to make the batter smooth I really really had to work at it!



Next job: find a bread tin... Turns out my bread tin was located in another kitchen so I used a greased Ikea serving tray. It worked great. Apart from getting it out that is! Spread it in your tin, smooth it with a wet spoon, and cut a line down the middle. My line did not take so well. It sort of just disappeared into the batter when it got warm in the oven. Also, my smoothness disappeared when it started to rise!


However, it rose beautifully. I was really happy and my kitchen smelled like yummy bread. You can see where my cut down the middle disappeared. I had a little battle getting it turned out but a sharp knife and a spatula helped my cause. 


It was very hard to wait for it to cool to cut into it. But, look at it! The bread actually turned out nicely. I surprised myself. In the past I've done a few of these mixes and normally I get a gloopy bit in the middle. This was all bread. Added a smothering of butter and, just like that, I had bread. 

You can follow Odlums on twitter or facebook. Their website lacks a list of their gluten free products. They are mixed among the other products. For example, when I was looking for the "Quick Bread Mix" I clicked into "Gluten Free/Tritamyl" and it wasn't there. My reasoning behind this is that I don't want to look at all the other products if I can't have them. I then clicked into the "Quick Breads" and found it and a gluten free scones mix among the other mixes. 

I'm thinking about trying another soon. Perhaps the scones. Let me know which to try via twitter or comment below.


P.S. I wasn't sure that I would actually eat all of this bread before it went stale so I cut it up, separated the slices with baking paper (for easy access), popped them in a sandwich bag, and froze it!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful product. Too bad it's not available in the USA!

    ReplyDelete